One Small Fee to Ride Free – All Quarter!
Get Your VTA SmartPass Clipper Card
Office of College Life, Photo ID, and VTA SmartPass
Monday 9/19-2022 - Thursday 9/22/2022
9:00 am - 2:00 pm
Monday 9/26/2022 - Friday 10/7/2022
Monda - Thursday
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
9:00 am - 2:00 pm
Monday 10/10/2022 - Friday 12/16/2022
Monday - Thursday
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
- You must follow the rules for coming to campus, including wearing a facemask over your mouth and nose. You may remove the mask for a few seconds while having your photo taken.
- Only one person at a time will be allowed into the office; social distancing will be required for people waiting in line.
- Note: Do not transfer your VTA SmartPass Clipper card to the Clipper Card mobile app, Apple Wallet, or Google Pay/Wallet, because this will disable your VTA SmartPass. Unfortunately, the VTA SmartPass is not compatible with these apps.
Your SmartPass is on a Clipper Card
The VTA SmartPass (previously known as the VTA Eco Pass) is incorporated onto a "Clipper Card," the reloadable smart card used for transit fare payments throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Get Your SmartPass
- Keep your Clipper Card! It's automatically reloaded with the SmartPass each quarter that you remain enrolled at De Anza.
- Your Clipper Card can be used for other transportation agencies. if you add funds or other passes to the card. These will still be valid even after you have left De Anza. For more information on adding funds or passes other than the SmartPass please visit vta.org/go/fares/clipper or clippercard.com.
- If you take fall, winter or spring quarter off, your SmartPass will be disabled in the third week of that quarter. You can take summer quarter off without your SmartPass being disabled. Your Clipper card should automatically get reactivated if you come back, but if it does not, you will need to come in to get a new one.
- Do not transfer your SmartPass card to the Clipper mobile app, Google Pay or Apple Wallet, because this will disable your SmartPass. Unfortunately the SmartPass Clipper card is not compatible with these apps.
SmartPass VTA Routes to De Anza
The VTA SmartPass provides all De Anza students unlimited rides on Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority (VTA) buses and light rail within Santa Clara County for the duration of a quarter term. The SmartPass is valid only for VTA services within Santa Clara County except Express services.
Currently five bus lines — VTA routes 23, 25, 51, 55 and Rapid 523 — stop at De Anza. For finding the best routes VTA recommends using the Transit app for Apple iOS and watchOS and Google Android devices. You can also look up VTA Routes and Maps, and use their Trip Planner on their website.
If there's no easy route for you to commute by bus to school, you can still take advantage of the SmartPass on weekends or any other convenient time.
How to Use Your Clipper Card
The Clipper Card for your SmartPass is a proximity card.
To use it, locate the Clipper Card reader at the entrance of the transit vehicle, fare gates or station and hold your card flat against the Clipper logo until you hear a beep or the gates open.
- We highly recommended that you register your Clipper Card with Metropolitan Transportation Commission, especially if you think you might add value and other passes besides the SmartPass (BART, CalTrain, Muni, etc.).
- If you do not register your card and you lose it, you will lose all non-SmartPass values you have placed on the card. To register go to www.clippercard.com and click on the "Register Card" link on the top of the page. You will need to create an account.
When Can You Use the SmartPass?
The VTA SmartPass is valid seven days a week for VTA buses and light rail ONLY within Santa Clara County except Express services. The SmartPass is valid as long as you are a registered student at De Anza College through the third week of the upcoming quarter and all of summer quarter. It will remain active as long as you are a student. If you take fall, winter or spring quarters off the SmartPass will be disabled the third week of that quarter. You can take summer quarter off without your SmartPass being disabled.
The VTA SmartPass is not valid on Express Services, ACE, Amtrak, BART, Caltrain, Highway 17 Express, Dumbarton Express, Monterey-Salinas Transit, and SamTrans.
How is the SmartPass Program Funded?
All enrolled De Anza students are eligible for the VTA SmartPass program through a mandatory quarterly fee,which was established by the De Anza Associated Student Government (DASG) during a spring 2011 proposition vote that passed 985 to 124 and was approved by the Foothill-De Anza Board of Trustees.
Part-time students with 0.5 to 5.9 units pay $5.75 per quarter, part-time students with 6 to 11.9 units pay $6.75 per quarter, and full-time students with 12 or more units pay $7.75 per quarter.