Filing Income Taxes

All students attending on an F-1 visa – and their dependents – are required to submit documentation to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for tax purposes, even if they did not work or receive any income.  This means that you will need to file a form with the IRS. 

Download ISP's Tax Quick Guide

 Tax Filing Deadlines and Instructions

  • Any U.S.  Income*  

    You will need to complete IRS Form 8843 and you may need to also file a tax return, such as a Form1040NR, by the tax filing deadline. You can find Form 8843 on the IRS website.

    The International Student Programs office cannot advise you on how to complete your tax return.  You may consult with a tax preparation service, professional tax accountant or tax attorney who is knowledgeable about nonresident tax law.  

    IRS Foreign Students and Scholars Website

    *Note that scholarships, grants or stipends may count as income under IRS rules.

  • No U.S. Income

    You will need to complete IRS Form 8843 and mail it to the IRS.  You can find Form 8843 on the IRS website.  This form is not a tax return and a U.S. Social Security number is not required.  It is an informational form required by the U.S. government for certain nonresidents and their dependents. 

Tax Services

  1. VITA provides FREE Online Tax Filing Assistance for De Anza Students:
    • Click here to reserve the online service. The Zoom sessions are available every Wednesday from February 7, 2024 to April 10, 2024, from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
    • You may qualify for VITA services if you made $79,000 or less last year.
    • Click for event flyer.
  2. F-1 visa students should be wary of free tax services or tax prep software like Turbo Tax, which are designed for resident tax payers and may not properly handle your nonresident tax status. 
  3. Two paid software services that are specifically designed to help nonresidents file their taxes are Glacier Tax Prep and Sprintax.

More Resources

Please Remember

The International Student Programs staff are not tax experts and cannot provide you with advice on how to file your taxes.  Each individual has a unique tax situation and is responsible for his or her own taxes.  

Back to Top