General Meeting Information
Date: April 14,
Time: 2:00 p.m.
Location: via Zoom
- Brief Check-in
- Classified Senate Elections
Members Present: Heidi King (president elect), Victoria Kahler (secretary), Scott Olsen (treasurer), Alex Harrell (communications officer), Laura Hiler (sec. 1), Melissa Luis (sec. 3), Lorna Maynard (sec. 6), Jenny Vela (sec. 9), Wil Byars (sec. 10), Dennis Shannakian (sec. 12), Ola Sabawi (sec. 13), Winnie Tse (DASB student rep.)
Guest(s): Tracy Chung-Tabangcura (Student Voices in Shared Governance and Professional Development comm.)
Today’s Opening Discussion: How is the first week of the Spring 2020 quarter going?
- “Tech support for Canvas, Zoom, MyPortal and other learning tools is now available from the Library West Computer Lab’s expert technicians…. The Library has added a form on the Library West Computer Lab webpage that students can use to request tech support for online learning tools – through live chat during designated hours or email outside those times. This is in addition to the online reference help that the Library is providing through the "Chat With a Librarian" button on the Library homepage.”
- “New two-minute video provides useful advice to help students organize their work, plan their time and make the most of their online classes this spring. It was developed by the Office of Communications in consultation with the Online Education Center. The video is posted on the Online Spring webpage at edu/online-spring and on the Online Ed Center’s Student Resource Hub, as well as on De Anza's YouTube channel. It's also being promoted on college social media accounts.”
- During the first week, Student Success Center staff held virtual office hours to help students understand tutoring options and
accessing services. Opening April 20, Student Success Center Tutoring is available
to all De Anza students on Canvas:
- The Office of Institutional Research surveyed students to understand their questions and needs and helped to connect them to applicable resources.
- ETS continues to provide assistance with Zoom: https://www.deanza.edu/gov/techcommittee/map/
- DASB had their first meeting of the quarter: https://www.deanza.edu/dasb/agendasminutes/2019-2020/2020-04-15sm.pdf
- Currently the VTA is not collecting fares so even without the SmartPass students can ride transit for free: https://www.deanza.edu/smartpass/
Classified Senate Elections Upcoming
Sections 3, 4, 8, 9, and 10 as well as President Elect, Secretary, Treasurer, and Communications Officer are up for re-election, King explained, and CS needs an Elections Committee of 3 to 4 people. Chung-Tabangcura will serve on this committee, and other who are interested can reach out to King. This year, Classified Professionals Week will include voting, a virtual raffle, Zoom trivia and/or other online activities. Harrell will update the webpage with the nomination form and to promote interest in running for the positions. King said that CS funds for food will be used later for in-person activities when that becomes possible.
Standing Committee & Shared Governance Reports
Maynard reported that IPBT will be meeting for the first time this quarter: https://www.deanza.edu/gov/ipbt/meetings/2020-04-14.html
Kirkpatrick said that SSPBT meeting is upcoming: https://www.deanza.edu/gov/sspbt/
King said she was unable to attend the last College Council meeting for winter quarter: https://www.deanza.edu/gov/college_council/meetings/2020-03-19.html
Chung-Tabangcura said that the Student Voices in Shared Governance committee met recently. They discussed some students’ frustration with college communication, so they may be drafting a letter of request to the chancellor. The committee will be meeting again soon.
Good of the Order
Olsen took care of distributing the Target cards to students in need, using our donated CS funds and coordinating with Veterans Services, Outreach, and HEFAS.
King announced that Christina Espinosa-Pieb will attend the next CS meeting and a notice about this will be sent out to the listserv.