About Me - The Basics
Jeff Staudinger, PE, CHMM, Industrial Ecologist
Full-Time Faculty Member, Environmental Studies Dept.
Program Coordinator & Lead Instructor, Environmental Resource Management and Pollution Prevention Program
Classes I Teach
|20917||ES 6||50Z||Introduction to Environmental Law|
|21691||ES 50||50Z||Introduction to Environmental Resource Management and Pollution Prevention|
|26158||ES 61L||50Z||Environmental Resource Management and Pollution Prevention Laboratory|
|23739||ES 64||62Z||Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation in California|
|26068||ES 95||62Z||Introduction to Environmental Careers|
|13229||ES 95||50Z||Introduction to Environmental Careers|
Environmental Resource Mgmt & Pollution Prevention Courses
ES 6: Intro to Environmental Law (4 units)
ES 50: Intro to Env Resource Mgmt & Pollution Prevention (4 units)
ES 61: Environmental Resource Management & Pollution Prevention
61A: Air, Water & Land (4 units)
61B: Chemicals, Energy & Waste (4 units)
61L: Sampling, Monitoring & Assessment Lab (1 unit)
ES 62: Environmental Management Tools
62A: Env Mgmt Systems & Env Performance Reporting (4 units)
62B: CEQA & Environmental Impact Reports (4 units)
62C: Environmental Site Assessments (4 units)
62D: Industrial Ecology & Sustainable Design Principles (4 units)
ES 64: Climate Change Mitigation & Adaptation in California (4 units)
General Ed Courses
ES 1: Introduction to Environmental Studies (4 units)
ES 95: Introduction to Environmental Careers (1 unit)
ESCI 1L: Environmental Science Lab (1 unit)
Primary Interest Areas
- Environmental Resource Management
(sound/sustainable mgmt of our air, water, land, food & material resources)
- Pollution Control & Pollution Prevention
- Industrial Ecology & Sustainable Systems
(energy, buildings, transportation, ag, etc.)
- "Efficiency & Sufficiency"
(efficient resource use & addressing over-consumption)
Prior to joining DeAnza in 2010, I spent over 20 years working in the areas of environmental management and pollution control & prevention (the areas that I now teach in here at DeAnza!). My professional experience includes:
- Identifying, characterizing and cleaning up old hazardous waste sites ("Superfund sites").
- Designing industrial treatment systems to control/prevent pollution and manage waste.
- Helping ensure that business/industry complies with environmental laws and regulations.
- Helping business/industry "go green" ("beyond compliance").
I have worked in a variety of situations, including as:
- A technical/management consultant to business/industry.
- A direct employee of industry (for United Technologies and National Semiconductor).
- A gov't regulator (for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in San Francisco).
- A researcher at the University of Michigan's Center for Sustainable Systems.
In addition, I have:
- Authored two books (The Environmental Guidebook and The California Environmental Guide), both of which profile various organizations (non-profits, gov't entities, etc) involved in environmental issues in the U.S. and California, respectively.
- Founded Engineers Dedicated to a Better Tomorrow - a charitable non-profit that promotesimproving the world through the practice of sustainable engineering.
Finally, I am:
My student surveys here at DeAnza have been highly positive with over 95% of students surveyed recommending me as an instructor. Within the individual teaching evaluation elements, I have earned my highest marks in terms of being knowledgeable, enthusiastic, well-organized and responsive to student needs and student diversity. The key to my success?: I like to teach and I love to learn.
Last But Not Least
I am a lifelong Philadelphia Eagles fan, a part of "Bleeding Green Nation" and, as of Febuary 4, 2018, I can finally die happy thanks to Nick Foles and company.
"Nobody likes us, and we don't care."