Many divisions offer study groups or instructional associate help for their own course offerings. Students may meet with the instructor during office hours to clarify their understanding of course material. In addition, students sometimes find that hiring a private tutor is most useful and provides maximum flexibility. Familiarize yourself with the various options and match what works best for the class and your needs.
Steps to receive instructional support
- Meet with your DSS Counselor or LD Specialist to discuss tutoring support options or request academic assistance. It is recommended that this be done during registration planning in order to reserve time in your schedule.
- Read and sign the Instructional Support Contract which describes the procedures.
- Follow the procedures specified for small group tutoring and drop-in lab tutoring.
Disability Support Services - Tutorial Center
DSS tutoring services are provided by the Learning Disabilities Support Team for math or language classes.
In the DSS Tutorial Center, instructional associates provide remote instructional support tutoring.
The DSS Counselor or LD Specialist can help advise about the most appropriate tutoring service
Additional tutoring through Student Success Center
The Student Success Center located on the third floor of the ATC provides a variety of services to improve academic success including:
- Trained peer tutors for free
- Individual, group, and/or drop-in tutoring for all students on campus in many academic subjects.
- Adjunct study skills and learning strategies in small group format to students enrolled in particular sections of classes that are listed in each quarter’s schedule of classes.
The Math, Science and Technology Resource Center is located in S43.
Help in writing and reading is available in the Writing and Reading Center (WRC) in ATC 309.
*If you would like the Student Success Center to coordinate with DSS and the Learning Disabilities Support Team, indicate on the tutoring request application that you are affiliated with DSS.