Page 36 - DAC_Catalog_2021-2022
P. 36

Step 1: First try to solve the problem informally with the instructor or staff member. You must confer with the others involved and try to resolve the problem. Step 2: If you are unable to resolve the issue after Step 1, you must meet with the manager of the other person involved in the dispute – either the division dean for a faculty member or the supervisor for a college administrator or classified professional staff member. Step 3: If the situation is still unresolved, you must confer with the vice president who oversees the division dean or supervisor, or with the vice president’s designee.
Step 4: If you still aren't satisfied, you may consult with the dean of Student Development or designate, and if they advise that your complaint is appropriate for the grievance process, you may file a formal grievance form. You will need to provide the specific rule or law that you feel was violated, as well as the details of the situation and copies of any pertinent documents. Don’t delay: You must file no more than 30 days after learning of the event or the latest of a series of events that form the basis of the grievance. In addition, you must file within a year after the alleged violation occurred, regardless of when you learned of it. You may only file a grievance if you are a current student or if you were a student no more than 30 days before filing.
Step 5: Fill out and submit the online Student Grievance Form, which you can access at You can ask any faculty or staff member to assist you with completing the form.
Step 6: After you submit the online Grievance Form, you will receive an immediate acknowledgement of your submission at the email address you provided in the report.
Step 7: The Grievance Review Board will review your grievance and decide if it meets the standards for filing and for further consideration. The Office of Student Development will contact you if the board agrees to schedule a hearing.
Step 8: The nature of the hearing will differ according to the circumstances and the discretion of the grievance officer. You and the others involved can be accompanied by, or represented by, any other individual
who is not an attorney. You may purchase a copy of the official record of the hearing. Step 9: The Grievance Review Board will try to decide – within 14 days after the hearing – the outcome of your grievance and whether you are entitled to any relief. The board will forward its recommendation to the dean of Student Development, who will forward it to the college president. Step 10: The president or the president’s designee will have the final decision regarding the outcome of your grievance. If any violation is determined to be the result of a district rule, or some other factor outside the college’s control, the president or the president’s designee will recommend appropriate action to the district chancellor or trustees. The president’s office will notify you in writing of the outcome.
The following information on completion and transfer rates is provided under the federal Student Right-To-Know and Campus Security Act. Campus Security Act.
Fall 2017 Cohort
■ Completion rate: 65.08% ■ Transfer rate: 4.15%
These rates are based on tracking a cohort of all certificate-, degree- and transfer- seeking first-time, full-time students over a three-year period beginning in fall 2017. The rates do not represent the success rates of the entire student population at the college, nor do they account for student outcomes occurring after this three-year tracking period.
For this cohort, the completion rate indicates those students who attained a certificate or degree or became “transfer prepared” during a three-year period from fall 2017 to spring 2020. Students who have completed 90 transferable units with a GPA of 2.0 or better are considered “transfer prepared.” The transfer rate indicates those students who transferred to another post- secondary institution, prior to attaining a degree or certificate or becoming “transfer prepared,” during a seven-quarter period from spring 2018 to spring 2020.
Also in accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, De Anza College provides a crime statistics report. See "Crime Statistics (Clery Act)" on page 27. Current information is available at
When a student receives a substandard grade (D+, D, D-, F, NC or NP) at De Anza, they may petition to have that grade excluded from their GPA after sub- sequently completing an equivalent course at another regionally accredited college or university. If approved, the student's aca- demic transcript will be annotated to reflect exclusion of the previously recorded course with its substandard grade for GPA calcu- lation purposes and for all considerations associated with awarding certificates and degrees. Alleviating a substandard grade with a subsequent Pass (P)/No Pass (NP) grade is not permitted, as it does not improve the student's GPA. All grades remain on the academic transcript, and some transfer institutions may require recalculation of the GPA to include both the substandard grade and the subsequent grade.
When submitting this petition, the student must
■ Attach a copy of their transcript, and either the course outline
of record or the course catalog description to confirm course equivalency
■ Make sure that an official (sealed) transcript from the other regionally accredited institution is submitted to De Anza’s Admissions and Records Office before the petition is filed
■ Complete the petition form
by providing the student’s information, the De Anza College course identifier, the date the
De Anza course was completed and the initial grade, as well as the equivalent course identifier, date repeated and grade earned upon repetition

   34   35   36   37   38