Find the Right Course for You!
Get Your Assessment for English/ESL and Math
- Log in to MyPortal > Open the apps section > Select the Student Registration app > Look under My Records and select View My Placement Results > Follow these steps
- Want to learn English at De Anza? Use our ESL assessment process, designed to assist students who are learning English as a Second Language.
How to Request an Online Assessment or Exam – Or Submit a Question
Use our online request form to submit your request access to an online English, ESL or Math assessments, or science exam. (We no longer offer in-person assessments or exams.)
You can also use this form to ask questions about the process.
- Confused? Call 408.864.8717.
How to Visit Us – For Questions Only
We're available at the Enrollment Services counter, across from the Bookstore, on the first floor of the RSS Building (park in Lot A).
- Monday-Thursday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Friday: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Please remember that you must follow the rules for coming to campus.
This is for questions only. In-person assessments/exam services have been retired.
- All assessments/exams are accessible online.
- Use the online request form to request access.
De Anza no longer uses placement tests. Most students can now be assessed on the basis of their U.S. high school transcripts and grade point average (GPA).
- Every new student should start by checking MyPortal
- It's easy to do: Follow these steps
- ESL students: Use our ESL assessment process, designed to assist students who are learning English as a Second Language.
No Transcript? No Problem!
- If you don't have a recent transcript from a U.S. high school, we'll use other methods to help you find the best placement for you.
- If you're attending on an F-1 visa, you should review orientation materials offered by International Student Programs office before completing assessment.
Our assessment process for English, English as a Second Language (ESL) and Math is designed to help you find the courses that are right for you – based on your circumstances and goals. It's an essential step for any student interested in taking these courses at De Anza. It's also required for getting priority enrollment!
English as a Second Language
- View or download the English as a Second Language (ESL) sequence
- View or download the Mathematics (MATH) sequence
- Check out our Tips on Registering for Math Courses
- Important notes:
- Students who received a placement over the summer for Precalculus I should register for MATH 31
- Students who received a placement over the summer for Precalculus II should register for MATH 32
- If you received a Math placement before this summer, you should meet with your counselor for assistance in selecting the right course for your goals
English and Math can be challenging. If you've had difficulty with these subjects before – or if you don't feel ready to take college-level courses in these areas – don't worry!
- You may also want to check out the Math Performance Success program, which offers tutoring and in-class support.
- If English is not your first language, we have an assessment process to help you find the right courses in English as a Second Language
- Talk with your counselor about the best options for you.
De Anza ended placement testing in 2018. If you took a placement test previously with us, we recommend that you check your updated placement results in MyPortal > Apps > Student Registration App > View My Placement Results.
Under state law, community colleges must do their best to help you complete transfer-level Math and English within a year – unless your high school records indicate that remedial courses would give you a better chance to succeed at the college level.
Like most community colleges, De Anza previously used placement testing to assess new students. But the latest research shows your high school performance is a better indicator than placement tests, when it comes to predicting your ability to succeed.